Monday 9 July 2012

Letter of an emancipated woman



Dear Men
I sat on the cold floor and and collected all the broken pieces of me today, got in shower and scrapped myself of you, I soaked the bruises of your touch off my skin. Cleared my eyes with my tears, cried away all the colors YOU said were beauty and replaced them with mine. I hugged myself and squeezed the obsessiveness and selfishness emotion you called love out of my heart. I took a breath for the first time today and as I exhaled the air from my nostrils blew away the darkness that had surrounded me before... I felt warmth for the first time as the rays of the sun danced on my skin... I felt loved... I looked at the world with my new eyes and saw opportunity for my talents in every corner. I walked into the world today free from your pain free from your chains and definitions of who I ought to be. I felt  safe in an open field...safer than I did in your heart in the constriction of your ribs, a world where everything was about you. I left that world... I have found my place in the world too. I learnt that I too have a place here.... I too have a purpose. I too am important. I learnt today that I am a woman, mother of nations, mother of you.

Sincerely 
I am emancipated 

Written by Tshwetso Kaan

1 comment: