Wednesday 1 August 2012

The Sabiny are gritty to female circumcision.

I was born in the Sabiny community in eastern Uganda and found female circumcision going on as a cultural rite of passage; nobody could explain the origins of the act. Everybody believed that circumcision was done all over the World .But later as I progressed with my studies to high school. I realized that female circumcision was not universally done all over the world. This challenge remained in me until my entry into the university. Given my background I took keen interest on FGM, and took it in my research. It was then that I went to the communities and carried out my research on female genital cutting.
I carried out a quantitative and qualitative research and had to solicit views from different sections of the community. “Among the  salient issues cited as effects of female circumcision are mounting medical evidences that; FGM in Sebei poses a serious threat to the health of women and girls, increasing vulnerability to HIV, raising the risk of maternal and infant mortality and harming psychological, sexual and reproductive health, severe pain, hemorrhage, tetanus infections, cysts and urinary inconvenience.”
It is against this background that after my first degree I started an organization Known as KAPNASO-(Kapchorwa network of AIDS service organization which became a forum that united all civil society groups against female genital Mutilation and HIV/AIDS-  to teach the Community on reproductive education and Community Health. I gained great experience in community mobilization, research, trainings and partnership with both District and national stake holders in mobilizing and sensitizing communities till 2010 when I furthered my studies on masters in public Health leadership- save motherhood. I am now a full advocate for safe motherhood both in my country and at the international level.  I am even a member for White Ribbon alliance international.



By Justus Kiseko Chelangat

No comments:

Post a Comment