Friday 1 March 2013

An Agege Customary Court in Lagos on Thursday dissolved a 23-year old marriage of a medical doctor over battery and infidelity on his part.



The Court President Emmanuel Sokunle, held that the union of Dr. Billy Ojelam and Amaka has broken down beyond repair.
He said that Billy failed to show up in court throughout the proceedings in the divorce suit filed by Amaka on October 23, 2012.
"The court was informed that the doctor filed a similar suit in another customary court when we were still handling the very matter.
This court, therefore, sees this as an abuse of court process. We stand by the judgment we will give here today.
Starting from today, you cease to be addressed as husband and wife. You shall go your separate ways and maintain peace," he said.
He gave the custody of the last child to Amaka in the interim, saying that the other three children were old enough to decide who to live with.
Sokunle also ordered that the man should pay N25,000 monthly through the court for the upkeep of the children.
"He should also be responsible for the education and medical needs of the children," the court president held.
Amaka, a businesswoman, had told the court that her husband was unfaithful, adding that he maltreated her.
"My husband beats me, he does not respect me, he threw my things out of the house because he now has another woman.
Our family intervened but all to no avail, my husband is rigid and stubborn, he won't change.
I want the court to dissolve the union and grant me the custody of my last child who is with me," Amaka, who lives at 5, Olufemi Close, Iju Agege, said.

Source

No comments:

Post a Comment