Saturday 26 November 2016

My struggle with Fibromyalgia.


I started experiencing pain 1 year after giving birth to my second born son.it all begun as mild pain on my knees and around my wrist areas. I took pain killers and the pain would reduce, but it will still recur after a few hours. These went on for a while and the pain started spreading to other parts of my body. The intensity of the pain was also increasing as time went by and my remedy was getting more strong painkillers to ease the pain.


The painkillers didn’t help much and I went to see the doctor, all the tests that were done turned out negative. The doctor added me more pain killers and advised me to go back for a review whenever the pain is unbearable. Back home things were getting worse; I started feeling tired all the time and having sleepless nights. Doing house chores became an uphill task as I could not even cook for the family and take care of my little boys.

I could stay in bed most of the time and would still feel tired to do any work. My husband would go to work and come to do house chores in the evening. The thought of not being able to do house chores stressed me much. My husband had to stop working to take care of his family.

This came with lots of financial constraints as we could not afford most of the basic needs. In the quest of finding a cure for my pain I was advised to go see a herbalist who gave me some herbal remedies which did not help .I visited a second herbalist but his medicine didn’t work, the pain was getting worse each day. I decided to consult a different doctor, after  assessing me he concluded I had Fibromyalgia.
We began working on my recovery which included changing my diet and also exercise. After three months I started feeling well and could do simple house chores and sleep well. Right now I still follow the treatment routine which has eased my pain and I know given time ill improve more. It calls for so much discipline to manage this condition.
I’m taking it one step at a time and I know I’ll emerge victorious, it’s not easy but I will make it. I’m able to encourage those who have this condition. I'm also educating my community about it and what can be done to ease the pain.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, your story won my heart as everything could be seen in black and white. I totally sympathize with you. May you find peace. Warm regards, echo demitrez

    ReplyDelete